Nitric Oxide and Corona (COVID-19)
Corona Viruses are inhibited by nitric oxide in research studies dating back to 2004 and 2005. Circulating nitric oxide is suppressed in Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). This can be reversed with the use of Nasal CPAP and Mandibular advancement devices (MAD). These treatments enhance endothelial function, allowing blood vessels to dilate and therefore increase blood flow to the heart, lungs and brain.
Open airways decrease snoring and OSA. It is important to comply with your physician and dentist’s recommendations regarding CPAP and Mandibular Advancement Devices (MAD) to optimize oxygen saturation, nitric oxide levels and restorative sleep. Do not eat or drink alcohol for at least 3 hours before sleep to allow for proper digestion and undisrupted sleep.
Sleep and the Immune System
Be mindful to get 8 hours of restorative sleep every night. Quality sleep will boost your immune system and allow your body to more readily fight off infectious disease. A good night’s sleep will reduce the harmful effects of stress on the brain, heart and respiratory system.
- Make sure you are using your CPAP or MAD ( if applicable), and try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night
- Eat foods high in nitrates such as : celery, spinach, lettuce
- Increase your intake of anti-oxidant rich foods. A plant based diet including fruits, vegetables, seeds, grains and nuts are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Polyphenols. Warm water with honey, ginger, lemon and turmeric is an anti-viral and anti-oxidant rich beverage.
- Probiotics found in yogurts or supplements. These “good” bacteria help prevent infectious bacteria from proliferating.
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation and transportation of oxygen and minerals throughout the body.
- Hydrate. Drinking enough water will flush your body of toxins and help with the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
- Get tested for breathing related sleep disorders using one of our take home sleep tests. watchPAT
- Keyaerts E, Vijgen L, Chen L, Maes P, Hedenstierna G, Van Ranst M. Inhibition of SARS-coronavirus Infection in Vitro by S-nitroso-N-acetylpenicillamine, a Nitric Oxide Donor Compound. International Society for Infectious Disease. 2004 .
- Akerström S, Mousavi-Jazi M, Klingström J, Leijon M, Lundkvist A, Mirazimi A. Nitric oxide inhibits the replication cycle of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus. J Virol. 2005
- Lin C, Wang H, Chiu C. et al. Effect of oral appliance on endothelial function in sleep apnea. Clin Oral Invest. 437–444. 2015
- Ip MS, Lam B, Chan LY, Zheng L, Tsang KW, Fung PC, et al. Circulating nitric oxide is suppressed in obstructive sleep apnea and is reversed by nasal continuous positive airway pressure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000
- Van De Walle G. 5 Ways to Increase Nitric Oxide Naturally. Healthline.com 2018